So I bet you're all dying to hear about 16 years old investigator. HE'S INCREDIBLE!!!! I can't say it enough. He's got the most amazing faith! We taught him the commandments last week. It's interesting because he had issues with alot of them...but as soon as we taught him he committed to throw away his past and to keep the commandments that God has given us! He's reading the Book of Mormon everyday and is even marking his scriptures! (It's amazing the things he is picking up on his own!)The thing that really blew me away this week...well, there are lots of things that blow me away about him .....but one of them was when we taught him about keeping the sabbath day holy. We taught him how we don't work, shop, do sports, etc. and how we go to church, spend time with friends and family, and turn our hearts to Heavenly Father. So, as we're talking about this he brings up BUKATSU(clubs at school)....this is where all Japanese hit a gigantic obstacle. Bukatsu is always on Sunday! Even active members have difficulty with this one. Well, we talked about how in my companion's case, she didn't go to practice on Sunday, but how once or twice a year there were times when she HAD to go...like when they had tournaments. It was a tough position for us, because as a missionaries we couldn't say "Well, you can break the sabbath if it's a tournament"...i can't tell someone it's okay to not keep a commandment!...but I know there are always exceptions to the rule. So we told him that. We told him there are always exceptions, BUT that he should pray and ask Heavenly Father what he should do. Well, he had a tournament the next Sunday(yesterday)...so he said he would pray about it.
Well, at our next lesson he told us he prayed about it. "Did you get an answer?" we asked. "No" he said " but I was sitting in class today and all of the sudden the word "Sabbath day" popped into my head...it was way weird, i don't know if it was my answer, so I'm gonna keep praying about it"
In my mind, it was a tournament, and it wasn't going to kill him to miss one Sunday, so i was pretty sure he'd probably go to the tournament. And I was okay with that. His faith is strong enough that we don't really have to worry about one time. But he had a different conclusion.
During our next lesson he told us "by the way, I decided I'm going to church on Sunday. I prayed about it, and I didn't really get an answer...just that one time when "sabbath day" popped into my head...so i think that was my answer" ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who is this kid?! His faith is stronger than mine! Truly incredible!
So he came to church yesterday (fasting for that matter) and even told us how he wanted to surprise us, so he went to the book store to buy a bible...but they didn't have it. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Do you understand why i say he is so amazing?! When we talked about his baptism (May 16th) we were talking about how after his baptism he will be the purest person in the church. His reply was priceless. "Cool! I'm gonna try and keep being the purest person in the church" (translation a little weird? Gomen(sorry).)
So things are continuing to go well. All that's left is for his parents to sign the baptismal record, which we are giving to him tonight. I pray all goes well. (Which I think it will...we haven't met his parents in person cause they are busy...but I talked with his mom on the phone last week and she was really nice!) So keep this boy in your prayers!
So, I've been going on and on about this boy but we also have other investigators who are just as incredible. I don't have much time to be specific today but here's what's going on in a nutshell:
We have four Vietnamese investigators. Two of which are progressing very well, they are taking everything and soaking it up like a sponge. Right now they have baptismal dates for the end of the month (May 30th)
we have a great member referral who we've taught the first two lessons to. She is very open and believes what we are teaching her. We plan to extend a baptismal invitation to her this week.
We are finding tons of people who are willing to listen to our message! Lots of Potential investigators!
Blessings are pouring out on us! I'm truly grateful for the opportunity i have to serve here. I pray that I can remain worthy of these great blessings and continue to work diligently to the end! This work is true! And it fills my soul with so much happiness that i feel like if I were any happier I'd burst!
Thank you for all the support and for all your prayers!