
O-san was baptized!!!! It was the most amazing Baptismal service...but then again all baptisms are amazing. She got all dressed up, and even bought a new dress for the occasion. I was nervous about how everything would go, but it was all perfect. I was so glad! Thanks to the help of many missionaries and members it was truly a memorable day for her.
It was funny, when she came to the church she looked super surprised. I guess she thought that only the sister missionaries and the person doing the baptism would be there.hahaha. But no worries, O-san was totally okay. I was worried that she wouldn't really understand the talks because of her Japanese level, but even if she didn't understand the words people were saying, I know she understood through the spirit.
Inaba-choro(Elder) and I sang "I know that my Redeemer Lives" in English and Japanese. I couldn't see O-san cause she was sitting behind us, but I heard that she started to cry. Even in her testimony after her baptism, in very simple Japanese she said, "During the song, I felt something. I was moved." O-san was all smiles all night. So many people came to support her, it was truly amazing. We were talking about how the baptism was over in just an instant, she went under, came up and it was done! O-san said something then that truly touched me. She said " I think that's the happiest instant I've had in my life" It was difficult to tell with o-san how she was progressing and what she was feeling because we never knew if she understood completely what we were teaching her. But that night I realized that she has a strong testimony and a strong desire to follow Jesus Christ. I was truly moved by her example of humility and obedience.
On Sunday O-san was confirmed a member of the Church and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. I know that this is just the beginning, and that she's going to continue to need alot of support and follow-up, but I'm excited for her and for the experiences she's going to have now as a member of this Church. Just like it says in the Book of Mormon, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always waiting for us to choose to follow him, just like O-san did. "Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me." 3 Ne. 9:14
The gospel is true, Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that it is through him that we can gain true happiness, and I know that it is available to anyone who desires it. I am grateful to be here in Fukuoka and to be having the experiences I am. I am learning so much! I love it.
So a really funny incident happened after the baptism. Everyone had gone home and we were closing up the church. The only people left were me, my companion and two of the YSA (who are ward missionaries...they help us out a ton!) Anyways, we were about to bike off when we realized the light in the Baptismal Font was left on. When we went back we realized that we forgot to pull the plug...and the chain for the plug...had broken!!! We couldn't reach it, so I took off my nylons and tried to catch it with my toes...but it was too deep. I tried to get it with my hands...but no good it was too deep. I was like, ahhh...our curfew is in like 15 minutes!!! We tried using a mop, a cane, and other long pointy objects, but to no avail. So, I decided, hey we have a wet baptism dress in a bag that we can use. So I changed into o-san's baptism dress, jumped into the font and pulled the plug. Haha. I knew I would see many people go into the font in white on my mission...but I never thought I would go into the font in white! haha. We would have taken a picture...but because of curfew we had to run. Wow. It was definitely a memorable experience:)
On Sunday O-san was confirmed a member of the Church and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. I know that this is just the beginning, and that she's going to continue to need alot of support and follow-up, but I'm excited for her and for the experiences she's going to have now as a member of this Church. Just like it says in the Book of Mormon, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always waiting for us to choose to follow him, just like O-san did. "Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me." 3 Ne. 9:14
The gospel is true, Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that it is through him that we can gain true happiness, and I know that it is available to anyone who desires it. I am grateful to be here in Fukuoka and to be having the experiences I am. I am learning so much! I love it.
So a really funny incident happened after the baptism. Everyone had gone home and we were closing up the church. The only people left were me, my companion and two of the YSA (who are ward missionaries...they help us out a ton!) Anyways, we were about to bike off when we realized the light in the Baptismal Font was left on. When we went back we realized that we forgot to pull the plug...and the chain for the plug...had broken!!! We couldn't reach it, so I took off my nylons and tried to catch it with my toes...but it was too deep. I tried to get it with my hands...but no good it was too deep. I was like, ahhh...our curfew is in like 15 minutes!!! We tried using a mop, a cane, and other long pointy objects, but to no avail. So, I decided, hey we have a wet baptism dress in a bag that we can use. So I changed into o-san's baptism dress, jumped into the font and pulled the plug. Haha. I knew I would see many people go into the font in white on my mission...but I never thought I would go into the font in white! haha. We would have taken a picture...but because of curfew we had to run. Wow. It was definitely a memorable experience:)