Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 34 (Fukuoka -Fukuoka: September 15, 2008)

One of Sister Osterloh's favorite P-day activities : Hot spring in Kagoshima --- read week 25

So I'm finally starting to get used to my responsibilities as Senior companion in Fukuoka. There are still about a million things on my to do list and a ton I could do better. But I'm working on it a little at a time.
O-san is doing good! She got the Ok go in her baptismal interview...so now we've just got to coordinate all the stuff for the baptismal service this Saturday!!! I'm super excited for her, yet nervous at the same time. Planning this was alot more difficult than I imagined it to be. Mainly because there aren't many members who know O-san that well...not good. It's tough cause she's SUPER busy. She can't come to any church activities and she leaves church as soon as it ends...she's got alot of desire and faith, so now all she needs is the support of the ward. Baptism truly is just the beginning. It's AFTER baptism that really counts. Just like President Hinkley always said, it's all about retention retention retention. If there's no retention...what's the purpose of missionary work? But we've got some really good YSA members in this ward...they're also all super busy, but I guess that gives them something in common right? I know that if she can make some good friends in the ward, she'll be set!
So we saw a TON of miracles this last week!!! We've been working super hard to get our 250 contacts right? Well...we hadn't been finding any people who wanted to listen...but this week we were able to make several appointments to come back and introduce the Book of Mormon!!None of them have become investigators yet, but hopefully by the end of this week we'll have some new people to start teaching. I love teaching! It's so much more fun than finding. I know I know, finding is necessary. Unless we find we can't teach, but still. Finding is tough...and tiring. I love teaching cause you can really get to know the person you are teaching. It's not just an approach but a real conversation, a real relationship. That's when missionary work gets really exciting.
Recently we've started teaching a girl who's been coming to Eikaiwa (English conversation class). She's super interested in the Book of Mormon, and is looking forward to learning more about the church...the only thing is that she's moving to Canada in November. So...pretty much, we've got to work quickly! But I'm excited! Hopefully she'll be able to come to church. It's all about coming to church. The investigators who progress the fastest are the one's who come to church. They're the ones who are really willing to commit.