Taniyama is unbelievably hot. We make mugi-cha (mormon cold tea ) at least two times a day and are definitely getting our two liters of fluid a day. It's nasty cause I'm sweaty 24/7...literally!!! Now just imagine the heat, riding a bike, and no AC at the apartment. Oh how I love missionary life:)So my companion and I have started a little creative dendo-ing. It's summer vacation for all the little Japanese children...which means it's rajio-taiso season (radio exercises)!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!
My companion and I were throwing out the trash one day (It was about 6:45 in the morning) and we saw two girls walking by with cards strung around their necks. We asked them what they were doing up and out so early in the morning, and they told us they had just finished rajio-taiso at a nearby park. We asked them where it was and what time it started and now my companion and I go every weekday morning at 6:30 for our asa-undo(morning exercise time).
The first time we went I couldn't stop laughing. Picture two sister missionaries, a couple of moms and dads and a bunch of oji-chans(grandpas) and oba-chans(grandmas) surrounded by tons of little children all working out together in a park...it was HILARIOUS!
We thought that by going to rajio-taiso every morning we might be able to make some rajio-taiso friends;) Fun dendo eh?
As for the work my companion and I are working hard! We've set some really good goals for the transfer. The mission president challenged us to up our lessons to 15/week (that's about twice what we've been doing) and to contact at least 250 people. At first I didn't think it would be too hard...but here in Taniyama it is HARD to find people! Especially when it's so hot! Nobody is home and nobody is out walking on the streets. About half of our investigators aren't able to meet with us during summer vacation...ouch. So we're trying to make up the 15 by making appointments with the members and teaching them the message of the restoration and the significance of the Book of Mormon.
About two zone conferences ago the mission president really pushed using the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon truly is the word of God and has a power of it's own. When we can't think of anything else we can do, we rely on the power of the Book of Mormon and the spirit to help us touch the hearts of those who read it.
The Taniyama branch is in the process of starting a 5-10 year project called the tree of life project. Just like Lehi, who partook of the fruit of the tree of life, we have the gospel which is truly sweeter than anything we can imagine. The leaders of the Taniyama branch have concluded that in order to have a desire to share this great fruit, each individual must first taste of this fruit and feel that joy that comes from living the gospel. By helping raise the spiritual strength in each member the plan is to spread the gospel in this area and help the Taniyama branch grow! The faith of the members here and their dedication is amazing! President Eyering made a famous prophecy about the growth of the church in Japan. The members here know that this is true and are working hard to see it fulfilled. the members here are SO motivated! I only pray that my work here as a missionary will help see their vision accomplished!
Anyways, my companion and I are working hard. We come home exhausted by the heat and the work...but that's what makes each day so satisfying. I truly am having a blast!! I love my companion! She's such a hard worker and so optimistic! I'm learning alot out here, it's incredible.