Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week 26 ( Kagoshima - Taniyama: July 21, 2008)


First off, I LOVE ALL OF YOU! Thank you so much for all the e-mails, they really help me out. I love hearing about what you guys are up to and how life is movin' along. It's kind of weird, cause being out here my whole world is the mission. All that runs through my head is "where do we find our golden investigator" "how do I strengthen my faith" "what else should I be doing"...it's great! Looking back on how I was when I first came I've recognized a difference in the way I approach everyday. I've really become missionary-ish. It's crazy!

Last Zone Conference I had a reunion with my "mother". It was SO great seeing her again, and especially hearing about the investigator's progress back in Kita Kyushu. YES! There was a MIRACLE! So there's a family. The mother has a very bad case of depression. The elders played with their kids and we went and taught them lesson one(the restoration). I remember the first lesson. She wouldn't pray with us or even read the scripture we wanted to share with her. She was very anti-religion and wanted nothing to do with God. She said she couldn't believe what she couldn't see. She said if God existed he should show himself to her, and that if he did exist she would hate him. It was pretty intense. But the strangest thing was that even when she said these things, we felt good. It was the strangest feeling. We knew that with time her heart would soften and she would accept the gospel. I just didn't know it would be this soon!!! While I was still in Kita Kyushu she was coming to EIKAIWA(English conversation class) every week with her kids. Also a sister in the ward went over every Monday night to help make dinner(this sister was KEY in softening this woman's heart...the power of service and love is miraculous) The sister missionaries would also go over every once in awhile to help clean around the house, but the agreement was that there would be absolutely no church talk. We said that we would only talk about our church if she asked us. Anyways, we weren't able to teach her the gospel, but we became REALLY good friends.

Well, last zone conference when I talked with my trainer, I found out that this woman and her son have a baptismal date!!!!!! I can't describe how excited I was! My trainer showed me her picture and she had changed SO MUCH! She was smiling!!!! It was wonderful! The gospel really does change people. What a blessing to see this happen!

So a bit about my new companion. I LOVE HER!!!! She's so amazing. She is FULL of love. And has the most amazing vision! I regained motivation to WORK WORK WORK!!! Together we're gonna see miracles!!! Her first name is OLIVE. It's really funny cause the Japanese sister has a gaijin(foreign) first name and the gaijin (foreign)sister has a Japanese first name. Sister Olive Ito and Sister Sachiko Osterloh! It's great! Dendo-ing (missionary work) with her has been super fun. Even if we're completely spent by the end of the day I'm still happy. It's the best feeling, working hard and being satisfied with what we've done that day. I am SO grateful for my companion. She really has helped me raise my bar, stretch, and work harder! I have alot to learn, but I hope by working with her I'll be able to develop some of the amazing qualities she has.