Monday, February 23, 2009

Week 57 (Fukuoka - Fujisaki: February 23, 2009)

During Christmas season, they visited a nursing home.
As for me, I'm still in the same situation as last week. It's starting to get a little difficult to understand why things aren't picking up. This has never happened to me before. But I learned alot at zone conference last week that the foundation to missionary work is obedience and diligence. We talked about Second Nephi Chapter 2 (I encourage all of you to read it this week) It's one of the chapters we use the most in teaching about the plan of salvation. What life is all about. It was a really interesting conference cause they had us all read the chapter before we came, and essentially we had a big group discussion on what we thought and learned. It was really cool cause it was like we got trained by us...if that makes any sense.
One of my favorite things we talked about is the part that talks about "the law". How righteousness exists because there is also wickedness. How we receive blessings or punishment depending on which side we choose, and that as a result of our choice we will either attain happiness or misery.
So this is what I learned: We are happy because we receive blessings.We receive blessings when we are obedient to God's commandments.Therefore we are happy because there are commandments.
Some people wonder how we can be happy with so many "rules" and with so many things required of us. I learned that it is BECAUSE OF the rules, it is because we are expected to do so much that we can be happy. It's because when we obey God HAS TO bless us. He's promised it. It's "the law".
As missionaries we have tons of little rules. Up at 6:30, asleep at 10:30. One hour for dinner. etc etc. In everyday life we may not receive special blessings for waking up early...it's just for our own benefit. But as a missionary, when we wake up at 6:30 we are blessed, because we were obedient.
Obedience is an amazing principle! Add diligence to that and it becomes an amazing power. SO. Even though things are a little slow right now, if I can strive for more obedience and work diligently, I'll know that the results I'm seeing, whatever they may be, are pleasing to the lord.
Let me tell you about my companion.I LOVE my companion. She is NEVER sad. She is ALWAYS smiling! Her name is Yamagata Asami. She's from Tokyo. She's second generation, but her dad converted when she was in High School...so she grew up in a part-member family. She has two younger siblings...but they're way different in age. 9 and 8 years old. She's 21. She likes to sing! (We're thinking of maybe trying to sing something in Sacrament meeting) We get along really well! She's patient with my grumpiness when all we do is find day after day after day. She's totally on top of things. I don't feel like I have to be "the senior companion" at all....it's like we're just two missionaries working together. So, although the work has been rough. I'm really happy with day to day life.
Let me tell you about the potential investigator that we found during Eikaiwa chirashi kubari(giving out the English Conversation class flyer). Well, the Elders had a baptism this last weekend, so we invited her to attend...and she said yes! BUT sometime during the day she bumped into somebody, her glasses fell off and broke! So she couldn't come cause she couldn't see. What are the odds of that happening?!?! Seriously! But, I know we'll get another chance with her, so I'm not too worried (but I REALLY wish she could have seen the baptism)
Um....my new favorite daily pleasure is eating Poifulls. They're like jelly-beans...but better! Oh, and my new favorite candy-bar is Black Thunder (must be read with a Japanese accent "burakku sandaa") And everyday I come home I crave Natto!(it made from soy beans and it has strong smell) Yes, that's right, Natto. I love it! I don't know when it happened...but my very very strong dislike became a very very big like! Natto is yummy! Who would've thought? I love having rice and Natto for breakfast...it's just starts the day off oh so nicely.
There was a bird living in our wall. It comes in the morning I think...at first I thought it was a rat in our wall...but then we heard chirping. Today we blocked off the entrance...so hopefully he won't be coming back anymore. (We cleaned all the bird poo out of the hole...it was disgusting!!!)
Alright. Time's up for real.
Peace out! (piisu auto)
Sister Osterloh