Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Week 22 (Kagoshima - Taniyama: June 23, 2008)

I'm glad to report this week is was much much better!! It all started when my companion and I fasted for Eleonora (the polish investigator). She's been having a REALLY hard time giving up smoking. She did a really good job at first, taking it down from 20 cigarettes to 2 to 3 cigarettes a day. But for the past three weeks she hasn't improved at all. Still struggling. I know how hard it must be, but the longer she puts off giving up those last two cigarettes, the longer she puts off her baptism. We had a date set for her, hoping that it would give her a date to work for...but unfortunately even still she wasn't able to stop. I know it's hard, but in the end it's a matter of commitment. I know the cravings must be tough, but mind over matter. The only thing is that Eleonora has to realize that for herself. Even if we understands what must be done, she has to understand and commit to do it herself. It's HER decision.

So i know it sounds like a sad story, but there were other things this week that were AMAZING! True miracles.
So last Thursday on our way to a lesson, we contacted a girl on the street. We invited her to listen to our message and to our surprise she immediatley said "sure". Usually when someone says yes it's after a bit of explanation and talking...but this girl said yes before any of that. WOW. So we made an appointment to meet with her at the church the next day. So the next day we went to the train station to pick her up and go to the church. And guess what?!?! She brought a friend with her!!! Whoa! So we talked with these two girls a little bit about God and how he is our loving heavenly father. We talked about how he's shown us how we can be happy and how we can learn of it through the teachings of Jesus Christ. When we challenged them to continue to learn about these things they both said yes!!! Two new investigators in one day! WOW! I know 2 may seem like a small number, but for us it was huge!

Anyways, the good stuff doesn't end there. The next day we had a first lesson with a taiwanese girl who we met through EIKAIWA(English Conversation class). She has a strong interest in Chrisitanity because of her high school teacher. I guess they were really close. Anyways, this teacher died of Cancer and ever since she's been wanting to learn about the bible and Jesus Christ, she just never had the opportunity to learn. Well, we watched the restoration dvd in Chinese and asked her what she thought. Guess what she said? " I believe it"....WHOA!!!! Miracles miracles miracles. We saw so many miracles this week!! Oh yeah. this girl's name is Kelly (nick name of course...chinese people always do that)She's here studying Japanese, but will only be here until the beginning of August...so we've gotta work fast:) She doesn't speak too much Japanese yet, so we have another english speaking investigator. Wahoo...more translating... No, but really. This girl is awesome!
As for Eleonora, although we lost a baptismal date I think Eleonora took a big step towards getting ready for baptism. We had a really intense lesson the night she said she wasn't ready for the baptismal interview...WAY INTENSE. The next day she didn't have her scheduled interview...but we found out that she decided to fast...on her own. That's BIG progress. I hope that she'll be able to rely on the lord and not on her own strength. I know when she lets the Lord help her, she'll be able to overcome her addiction.

So funny story. Today during our personal study Suzuki shimai (sister)was looking at a card that one of her best friends from home made for her when she left on her mission. It was a card with pictures of a buch of people from the kansai institute. Guess who one of those people was. Me! Haha. I was on the card. I don't even remember getting my picture taken...but sure enough it was me:) The world is so small...it's crazy.

Oh yeah, today for p-day we're going to Sakurajima (the active volcano) I'm way excited. What's even more exciting is that the AP's came down for a junkai(exchange)...so Ty's coming to Sakurajima too!!! YAYY!!!! It should be way fun. I just hope it doesn't start raining. That would suck.
Well, I hope you guys are enjoying the summer vaca! Go water weenying for me:) And scream lots! I LOVE YOU ALL!!