I hope you guys all enjoyed Easter break in St. George. Easter doesn't really exist here in Japan, not even in the church...they just don't celebrate it.This weeks story is about Tuesday morning before district meeting. Because of a bunch of complications our district meeting is up in Fukuoka, about 40 minutes by train, and then a 10 minute walk from the station. Anyways, so we usually plan for about an hour and it works out pretty well. Well, last week we were running a little late. There was no way we could get on the train we were planning on (cause we were still at the apartment 5 minutes before it left) but there was an express train that would leave about twenty minutes later...so we were still okay. Anyways, so we run down the stairs and get to our bikes. As I pull out my bike i hear this weird squeaking noise. Huh? I look down and my tire is COMPLETELY flat!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!! We ran back up to our apartment just to find that there was no pump. We could have run to the church, but by the time we did that we would have missed the train. Our only hope was to book it by foot!....with all of our luggage for that matter. So we RAN. We ran and ran in our skirts and small heeled shoes...it was miserable...and sweaty. Well, after running and almost making it to a main road we stopped, realizing there was no hope. My lungs felt like they were going to burst and I couldn't run anymore. We weren't going to make it to district meeting...that's when I saw the bus waiting to turn left at the light in front of us. When we read the destination on the back we realized it was going to the train station!!!!!! We still had to run a ways before the main road and then get to the bus stop before the bus did. I've never run more desperately in my life...but we caught the bus!!!!(barely) Both of us were heaving just trying to catch our breath....but we made it on the bus! Now the question was, would the bus get to the station before the train left? Miraculously we had three whole minutes to run from the bus station, grab our tickets and get up to the platform. It was our exercise for the week:) And definitely an event to remember. It was truly miraculous that the bus came at the time it did...I don't think anyone could have planned it more perfectly. The lord is watching out for his missionaries!
As for our investigators, our 16 year old boy is doing great! He came to general conference...and fell asleep. But i figured as much. I think every investigator who has come to conference throughout my entire mission has fallen asleep. I guess that's what happens when you place people in a dark room for two hours listening to monotone translation. BUT he thought it was good...and he became better friends with the only active young men(man?) in the ward. He's reading the book of Mormon and praying! He said he prayed twice..but didn't get an answer. We told him how sometimes answers take time...and that they come in many ways, scripture, church, other people, feelings, etc. We encouraged him to read the book of Mormon so that he could get his answer. I told him how when I read the Book of Mormon, I pray first, so that I can find what i need. He said "cool...then I'll try it too" He's got a true innocence and interest in the gospel. His response when we told him that the priesthood was the power of God was "すげー" (WOW!) I'm excited for him! He's gonna be a missionary someday!
Love you,
Sister Osterloh
PS Wasn't conference amazing?! I loved President Uchtdorf's talk and Elder Holland's talk! SO simple, yet so powerful!!!!
Also next week p-day is temple day so you won't be hearing from me for a couple weeks. I know I know...it's okay, no need to cry it's just a week.